- Our Story
- The Buzz
- Salon Professionals
- Contact Us
Another great holiday look is a chignon. A chignon looks best when it is off to one side and is full and messy.
To create this look:
Part your hair in the desired way.
You can leave shorter face framing pieces forward.
Gather the rest of your hair back and to the side
For more height gather the hair off center at ear height.
For less height gather the hair off center and further towards the nape of your neck.
Secure your hair with a pony tail.
Take small sections of the pony tail and wrap and twist them towards the ponytail base.
Secure each section with hair pins.
Criss-cross the pins to secure the hair.
When you have twisted and secured all of the ponytail into a messy, unfinished looking bun you can loosely pull on some of the hairs to create a messier look.
Spray with hairspray to hold the hairs in place.
Curl or twist the shorter face framing hairs that you left out.
Style your bangs and your chignon is complete.
Accessorize this look with glamorous earrings and bold lipstick and your look is holiday ready.
image credit: getty images
It looks as though this style took some time and effort to create, but in fact this messy chic look is quick and simple.
To create the messy bun you must always remember that the key is not having a perfected look. It’s ok to see bumbs and flyaways.
For this look you need a headband of choice, some bobby pins and 2 hair elastics.
1. Gather your hair back into a ponytail- create some height but not too much as when you add the headband you will create more.
2. Secure the ponytail with a hair elastic.
3. Split the ponytail into 2 sections- the first is the top 3/4 of the hair in the ponytail and the rest is the 1/4 of the bottom of the ponytail.
4. Wrap the larger section around itself to create a bun and secure with a hair elastic. Do not worry about any hairs that do not lay flat or stay secured.
5. Wrap the remaining hair around the base of the bun in the opposite direction. Twist as you wrap and then secure by sliding bobby pins into the base of the bun.
6. Add your favorite headband to create a clean look from your hair line to the headband and extra height in the crown area.
7. To create extra height, gently pull pieces from the crown area slightly forward
8. Spray with some light hold hair spray to secure the look.